8.06.2008

Duke Kahanamoku Vans




I like me some shoes -- which is a little ironic to anyone who knows me, because I also like summer to the point of almost always being outfitted in a pair of flip flops (or slippers, as we like to say in Hawaii). However, I also enjoy fashion, and flip flops are not always appropriate -- and who doesn't enjoy mixing it up a little, anyway? Recently I stumbled upon a pair of Vans that blew my mind (because I am also a sucker for classic "Aloha" graphic prints) -- "The Official Duke Kahanamoku Surfers".

The story, per the Vans website, is that the founder of Vans, Paul Van Doren (then not even in the shoe business at all!), met the legendary Duke at a surfing competition in Hungtington Beach, CA, and was inspired to take the print from the Aloha shirt of fellow "surfing legend" Fred Hemmings (founder of the Vans Triple Crown Surf Competition) and create a line of shoes. Vans has recently re-released the shoes in a limited edition, and is donating $10,000 to The Outrigger Duke Kahanamoku Foundation, which benefits Hawaiian athletes.

There are heaps of colors to choose from, the money goes to a great cause, and they make summer all the more summery, so get them at The Nordstrom Rack (the link to the Vans site says that they're totally gone!) before they're gone (which they may be, but check The Rack)!

No comments: