6.25.2008

From the Archives: Sigur Ros :: Two Videos From Some Time Ago

Stumbling through some old cds long in storage, I stumbled across a Sigur Ros 2 disc set that, according to my itunes is ( ) Untitled #1. One of these two discs was a dvd of video work -- two taken from the band's dreamy first release Aegetis Byrjun, and the third from the just then released ( ). The first two songs, "Svefn-G-Englar" and "Vidrar Vel Til Loftarasa" are stunning and heartbreaking, and the videos capture the spirit of the music (and Sigur Ros) very well. The third, a video by Floria Sigismondi (whom you may recall from the Marilyn Manson video for "Beautiful People") for the song "Untitled #1 (Vaka)" is very pretty as well, but a bit more bleak and conceptual. I mean, it's nice, but it won't break your heart, and it's not nearly as visually arresting, so what's the point, y'know? (Which makes me feel like a horrible person and a bad critic, because I really do like this video, just not nearly as much as the other two. Mainly this is because, though I may pretend to be edgy, at heart I'm a terrible sap who loves to be emotionally manipulated by any sort of media. Books, music, film, visual art, email, voicemail, whatever; I am putty in your hands.)

I'm not going to go into any detail with the following videos, and am instead just going to encourage you to watch them. If you have seen them, it was likely a very long time ago (like me!), so you should watch them again. If you don't shed a few stray tears, you've only your black cinder of a soul to blame. Please note, however, that Sigur Ros is best listened to on headphones, and loud. (It puts you in the moment, you see.)



No comments: